Cyberware Accuracy

From: Terry T. Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu May 16 1996 - 16:41:13 EEST

Juergen Bauer wrote:

> Many engineering applications require higher accuracy than their system
> can deliver (no more than approx. 1 mm accuracy).

It's possible to get inaccurate data with any laser digitizing process. My
experience with Cyberware data has generally been *much* better than 1 mm. In
fact, if the surface of the object that you're scanning has been prepared
properly, you can normally achieve accuracy in the +/- 0.1 - 0.3 mm range. On
one project, most of the dimensions were in the +/- 0.05 - 0.2 mm range,
although we scanned the part at maximum resolution using the HIREZ (high
resolution) version of their 3030 scanner. If you are interested in reading an
article that discusses some of the factors that influence laser scan accuracy,
visit http://lamar.colostate.edu/~wohlers. I don't recall the specific name of
the article (I'm not in a position to look it up at the moment), but it's not
hard to find once you get there.

Terry Wohlers