Re: 3D Sensor for Reverse Eng

From: BAU (BAU@biba.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Wed May 15 1996 - 12:10:54 EEST

>>We are currently looking for a 3D Sensor (e.g.,
>>laser scanner) package for our reverse engineering
>>applications. The requirements include:
>>2) producing STL and IGES files with good quality;
>>4) price around US$40-50k.

>... they have a CYBERWARE laser scanner. ...

Hong,
Depends upon what you mean by "good quality".
For instance, the CYBERWARE scanner * is a solution dedicated to the
entertainment industry, delivering a RGB image if the scanned object
simultaneously to its range data.
Many engineering applications require higher accuracy than their system
can deliver (no more than approx. 1 mm accuracy).
You find a number of competitors on
http://www.iware.com/htmls/scanners.html
I would ask first (according to your price range):
Digibotics, Pixsys (kind of 3D-Mouse), Renishaw (ask for Cyclone),
Intecu, Steinbichler.

With kind regards, Juergen Bauer

 * http://www.cyberware.com/Cyberware-Welcome.html
or info@cyberware.com

Dipl. Ing. Juergen Bauer, Bremen Institute of Industrial Technology and
Applied Work Science (BIBA), P.O. Box 33 05 60, 28 335 Bremen,
Germany,
Phone: +49/421/218-5595, Fax: +49/421/218-5510, Email:
bau@biba.uni-bremen.de,
http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/users/bau/bau.html