Re: References

From: Atif Mehmet Yardimci (ayardi1@uic.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 11 1996 - 19:55:23 EET

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, J. Michael New wrote:

> > > Hur reveals:

> > > Hi Hur,
> > >
> > > Two points:
> > >
> > > 1. I don't know how much you know about FEM, but it is essentially a form
> > > of mathematical modeling where one divides the problem into pieces and
> > > simultaneously solves them all. Not using FEM might be very hard.
> > > Have you thought of the Boundary Integral Method? I don't know much
> > > about it, but from initial research it look like it might be
> > > appropriate for use with SLA because it uses a surface mesh.
> > >
> > > 2. A reference: "Numerical Analysis of Stereolithography Processes
> > > Using the Finite Element Method", by Bugeda, Cervera, Lombera
> > > and Onate, from the Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol 1, Num 2, 1995.
> > >
> > > Good luck, and please let us all know what you decide to do and when
> > > and where you publish it!

> > > Mike New
>
> ----------------------------- _/ /\/\ /\/ ----------------------------
> J. Michael New Michael.New@NRC.Ca
> Integrated Manufacturing Technologies Institute (613)991-4371
> National Research Council of Canada home: (613)230-7783
> "Star Trek transporter: the ultimate Cut and Paste"

Hi,

My 2 Cents:

1. Chambers R.S., Guess T.R. and Hinnericks T.D., "A Phenomenological Finite
   Element Model of Part Building in the Stereolithography Process",
   Proceedings of The Sixth International Conference on Rapid Prototyping,
   1995, U. of Dayton, Dayton Ohio, June 4-7 1995.

2. Wiedemann B., Dusel K.H. and Eschl L., "Influence of The Polymerization
   Dynamics of Stereolithoghraphy Resins on Accuracy", Proceedings of The
   Sixth International Conference on Rapid Prototyping, U. of Dayton,
   Dayton Ohio, June 4-7 1995.

3. Flach L., Chartoff R., "A Process Model for Nonisothermal Photo-
   polymerization with A Laser Light Source", Polymer Engineering and
   Science, vol. 35, no.6, pp 493-498, 1995.

Several other researches developed process models for
other SFF processes as well; e.g. UT-Austin group on SLS ranging from
effective property prediction to coupled SLS machine models, S. Brown
from MIT, our proup in UIC on Fused Deposition, Stanford/Carnegie Mellon
and UC-Irvine on droplet deposition...

The challenge of all (semi-)freeform additive processes is the level
of geometrical complexity, aside from the physical processes. That means
a process model developer needs to be as resourcefull as (the control
software developer for the hardware) or (software engineer which develops
computational geometry tools for data manipulation). This is a problem
given the history and proliferation of CNC and CAD know-how, as compared to
computational mechanics tools 8-).

If you will be interested in the work we are doing on Thermal Modeling
of Fused Deposition please drop by at Internet Conference on Rapid
Prototyping @

   http://www.mcb.co.uk/

Regards
Atif Yardimci

Manufacturing Processes Laboratory
University of Illinois at Chicago
+1-312-413-7408 [Voice], +1-312-413-0447 [Fax]
ayardi1@uic.edu