Rapid Prototype? This is crazy!

From: Peter H. Gien (71773.3150@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 21:04:25 EET

To All:

The dangers of working in the rp field are legion. I fell victim to one of the
many hazards on Friday, 23. Let me tell you the whole story.

On Friday, 23rd February, I travelled many miles from Texas to New Hampshire,
surviving commuter planes, airline food, car rental counters at Logan, and a
drive through Boston traffic up to New Hampshire. I was planning a week of
consulting work at SPI, those makers of RP machines. I arrived around 4 p.m. and
spent a few hours looking at some nice parts and discussing some technical
issues.

Around 6:30 p.m. I left for my Dad's place which is in nearby Amherst. After a
nice dinner, I was chatting with my parents when the phone rang. It was my wife,
she was on the way to the hospital, being driven there by our hapless neighbor.
Our prototype was ready for removal. "It's ready?" I asked incredulously. I
have heard of rapid prototypes, but this one was 5 weeks ahead of schedule!
Unheard of in this industry.

After a while, I managed to collect myself, and call the hospital. A breathless
nurse answered and said, "I can't talk, the baby is being delivered RIGHT now!
Gotta go." Stunned again. Less than an hour later, a 6 lb 2 oz girl prototype
was born. I have heard of rapid, but this is too much. The prototype has no
defects and has only one support structure coming right out of her belly button.
Easy removal. My Dad quipped that the support removal will take at least 30
years.

I flew back the next day, without any baggage of course; they lost it on the way
up, and so thankfully could not lose it again.

Best regards

Peter Gien
POGO International, Inc.
71773.3150@compuserve.com