Re: Cubital Processes

From: Michel Laporte (laporte@amtos5.ime.nrc.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 21 1996 - 16:52:54 EET

by Cubital:

> The sequence simply changes from:
>
> 1) Apply resin; 2) Expose through mask; 3) "Wipe" or vaccuum off uncured
> resin; 4) Expose high-intensity UV; 5) Apply wax; 6) Chill wax to solidify;
> 7) Mill layer to thickness
>
> to:
>
> 1) Apply resin; 2) Expose through mask; 3) "Wipe" or vaccuum off uncured
> resin; 4) Apply wax; 5) Chill wax to solidify; 6) Mill layer to thickness;
> 7) Expose high-intensity UV
>
> Therefore, the very thin film of resin that cannot be vaccuumed off is not
> ever cured, so no "skin" is produced between layers, reducing dewaxing
> effort and even eliminating the requirement for citric acid to be used (now
> just warm water works).

I can't help but notice that this new process might be an environmental concern. If the thin film of resin that can't be vaccuumed off is not ever cured then, that means that this resin is released with the wax when the model is dewaxed.

What happens to this resin? I understand that the dewaxing process can be done in a dishwashing machine, if it is done in the dishwasher that means that this resin is released in the waterworks which will eventually come back in our rivers, lakes, ect...

I am aware that cured resin is not an environmental danger but uncured resin is not the same.

If someone has more information that could clarify this concern please reply.

Michel Laporte
Technical Officer, Free-form Fabrication Processes
Integrated Manufacturing Technologies Institute
National Research Council of Canada