Re: pro/e

From: Martin Geiger (mrg@ipa.fhg.de)
Date: Mon Feb 12 1996 - 22:27:45 EET

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996 Ron.Jamieson@ncl.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi, 12/2/96
>
> Last Friday I delivered some stl files generated by pro/e to a
> bureau. I was asked if I Knew of a way to read stl files into pro/e!
> Being new to pro/e I don't know. It was certainly easy to write a
> grip programme in Unigraphics to do this. Is there something similar
> in Pro/e and has anyone done this? I imagine the main problem will be
> not being to sow the surfaces and therefore the excercise may be a
> waste of time? I could be wrong!!! are there any good reasons??

I have not worked much with Pro/E 15.0, but with version 14.0 it was not
possible directly. It gives an awful trick to bring STL-Files into ProE.
Take the STL-File and create a VDA-FS file. Because, VDA-FS does not know
triangles, you have to make a rectangle with two identical points out of
every triangle. It is a very easy program. After this you can load the
VDA-FS file and create a solid into Pro/E. This will need some time!

But as mentioned, it is a terrible trick, and I am very interested in a
better way.

Regards
        Martin Geiger

       '''
     /('^')\ \\|//
    ( o o ) (O-O)
-o000--(_)--000o--------------------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo-------

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Geiger
Fraunhofer-Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation (IPA)
Nobelstrasse 12, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
phone: +49-711-970-1835, fax: +49-711-970-1004 e-mail: mrg@ipa.fhg.de

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the
Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an
utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life
forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches
are a pretty neat idea ...

  .ooo0
  ( ) 0ooo.
    \_) ) /