Re: RE: Concept Modeling

From: Karl (denton@interserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 1996 - 04:16:30 EET

I saw the modeler at Autofact and although the machine was a
beta unit I was very impressed with it. As dave said the
support removal was a snap and part quality was as good if not
better then some systems on the market now! So lets sum it
up... easy support removal, great part quality, no resin, no
solvent for support removal and an easy user interface! What
will they think of next?

****************************

> I've seen the Actua 2100 (MJM). It's a pretty nice machine.
Great
> software. It makes pretty good parts (I've seen a few
thousand RP
> parts, and I know what "pretty good" is). And it makes them
pretty
> quickly. The approach to support construction is novel, to
say the
> least, and support removal is a snap.
>
> I've been reading a lot of talk on this list which looks mostly
like
> speculation about the Actua 2100. Have any of you actually
seen this
> machine?
>
> With regards to the questioning of the value of "rapid
concept
> modeling" (i.e., multiple iterations, quickly produced, not
> necessarily requiring high precision) - Frost P. related a
comment
> from one of his customers: (I'm paraphrasing here) "I like
Plynetics
> because you allow me to make mistakes faster" (The
customer, not
> Plynetics. Of course, Plynetics doesn't make mistakes).
Another one
> I like is: "If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a model
is
> worth a thousand pictures" (Tom K., Amp, I think). The
value of
> concept models is obvious. We sell a ton of 'em (Ours,
obviously,
> are perfect in every way ;-) ).
>
> Dave Flynn
> Prototype Express, Inc.