Re: Patent issues

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Fri Feb 02 1996 - 13:17:59 EET

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Kamesh Tata wrote:
> I am sure everyone agrees with Carl's observation about patents. I wish we
> could forward his mail to the patent office, not expecting a major change in
> the system, but as a way of paying respects to visionaries cum inventors cum
> implementors like Chuck Hull. We owe them. Don't we?

     For those who don't know, Carl Deckard is himself one of those
visionaries, having invented selective laser sintering while a graduate
student about ten years ago. (For the record, that invention may have
been roughly simultaneous with a similar, independent invention by Michael
Feygin.)

     I agree with Kamesh that folks like Chuck Hull, Carl Deckard, Mike
Feygin, Scott Crump, and Itchak Pomerantz will be recognized in history
as the Marconis and Alexander Graham Bells of the late 20th century. Each
of these people has combined the brilliance of invention with the
persistence of entrepreneurialism to bring their brain-children into the
hostile marketplace. We do owe them.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

ANNOUNCEMENT: I will be co-teaching a new short course, called "Agile
              Manufacturing and Rapid Prototyping," at CalTech in March,
              and again in June. For a brochure contact Toni Parhizgar
              at (818) 395-3746 or tonip@cco.caltech.edu.

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** Your source for expertise on automated fabrication(TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: autofab@ennex.com **