Re: Exactomer on 500's

From: Smdeak@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 31 1996 - 06:16:00 EET

Regarding your request for feedback concerning EXactomer in the SLA-500,

Basically, when compared to epoxy resin (Ciba SL5180),

Exactomer 5201AR has:

(GOOD ATTRIBUTES)
Better recoating prameters (faster)
Reduced dewetting, even at 0.005 slice.
More tolerant to trapped volumes
NOT HYDROSCOPIC!!!!!
QuickCast build style drains GREAT!!
Higher Dp with same Ec.(Faster draw speed)
I'M NOT ALLERGIC TO EXACTOMER, YEE HAW!!!!!!

Downside of EXactomer 5201AR:

(NOT SO GOOD STUFF)
Increased liklihood of curl (process and post process induced)
Often tacky surfaces if not properly post processed
Lower tensile strength (but about half way between acrylates and epoxies)
Fruity smell ( its OK, if you're into fruity)
Needs thermal post-curing in addition to UV post-curing
Lower green strength

I think AlliedSignal is revamping the formula to fix some of the less desired
features. However, 5201AR is the same stuff EOS sends out with their
machines in Europe as their machines are Argon-Ion Laser.

I think consistently good parts can be made with 5201AR if you are willing to
work out process and post process procedures. However, I am using Ciba SL
5180 in my SLA-500, even though I'm a sensitive guy (to the resin, that is).
 I can handle it!!.

Good Luck

Steve Deak
Hasbro Toy Group