Re: point cloud data into surface data

From: Suzanne Fox Buchele (buchele@cs.utexas.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 24 1996 - 18:02:33 EET

Tim Kassal writes:

> Imageware of Michigan has a product called Surfacer
> which will do a good job of creating smooth surfaces
> from point clouds. The interface is much less cumbersome
> than Pro/SCANTOOLS and the program contains some
> powerful tools for manipulating tangency conditions and
> deviation from the point data.
>
> The surface data can then be dumped to Pro/E via IGES.
> If you're going to be working with point cloud data on a
> regular basis, I'd look into Surfacer.

The problem with importing Surfacer data into Pro/E (even with
Pro/SCANTOOLS) is that the imported data in Pro/E is "static" -
you can't manipulate it, add to it, etc.

I am also looking for ways to get point cloud (CT) data into CAD
systems. Anyone else have any thoughts?

-Suzanne Buchele
PhD Student
UT Austin/Argonne National Laboratory