RE: Triangle Normals

From: BROCK ROONEY (brockrooney@delphi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 1996 - 20:17:25 EET

As Mr. Roth points out, in order for normals to be useful,
you need to be able to specify them at each vertex of
each triangle, not just one per model vertex. Imagine a cube.

I don't think any normals are necessary at all.
Using the vertex normals allows you to calculate A curve,
but not The curve (the original part shape). Reasonable normals
can be obtained by examining the local situation.

Indeed I have in development, for release later this year
(don't ask when), a STL enhancement product which will add triangles
to smooth out poorly faceted STL files, and do some INTOL/OUTOL
stuff too.
C. Brock Rooney, Pres., Brock Rooney & Associates Inc. (Brockware)
       268 George St. Birmingham Michigan 48009 USA
(810) 645-0236 fax/bbs (810) 645-9020 email brockrooney@delphi.com