Re: VRML instead of STL

From: Paul L. Finelt (72567.3274@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 1996 - 07:06:24 EET

I continue to wonder why any one would want to work with polygons in an RP
machine. They represent a degradation of the original surface(s) and often
times create those problems you mentioned in your opening message.

If one was concerned with dimensional tolerances, you would try to use
something like an SLC file where slice data already exists. I realize this
poses it's own set of problems and limitations. Everthing is going to be a
trade-off based upon the result desired.

I still don't understand why you would want to use VRML for Rapid
Prototyping? It was designed for virtual environments that just have to "look
good", not parts that have to fit and feel good.

I certainly don't think the chaps who put together the VRML standard thought
of our world. Do you think they understood it? Do we completely understand
it?