RP projections based on CAD seats

From: Joe Allison (joe@solidconcepts.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 1995 - 23:45:23 EET

rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi

For the large part, the potential size of the market place that all us RPers
are in, depends on the number of CAD seats out there that can generate STL
files. So far, all I have seen is market projections based on the total
number of CAD seats. This includes a large number of 2D and 3D wireframe
modelers. Also, many surface modelers that are intended strictly for NC
toolpath generation, commercial graphics, and other such uses that do not
require fully enclosed models.

I have some questions:

Does anyone know the number of world wide CAD seats that can generate STL files?

And, are there any market projections based on this number?

As I come to realize that the rest of my professional life will probably be
devoted to Rapid Prototyping, I find this kind of information to be
increasingly important.

Joe Allison
Solid Concepts Inc.
phone: (805) 257-9300