Re: Reverse Engineering or some other terms

From: Ingle K A (kia@dsunix2.dsrd.ornl.gov)
Date: Mon Nov 27 1995 - 04:46:04 EET

TO all,

As both an author on the topic of reverse engineering and an accomplished
cook, I can honestly say that there are some instances where the sum of
the parts does not equal the whole. I cooking, the addition of heat does
things to the ingredients that makes the whole more than the sum of the
parts, it transforms the inputs in such a way that reverse engineering
does not make sense. ALthough both RE and cooking are arts, the alchemy
of the ingredients makes some things too diificult to duplicate, besides,
duplication of flaws is not a useful application of RE, that is better
off viewed as value engineering. Cooking and mass produced parts are
worlds apart, and therefore not subject to the rules of thumb which guide
much reverse engineering.

And as with cooking and kitchens, too many cooks spoil the broth. Just
use the tollhouse method of chocolate chip cookie making and your results
will be consistently repeatable and reliable.
Sincerely,
Kate Ingle